Killing Yourself To Live by Chuck Klosterman
Hmmmm well this book isn't going get onto my top favorite books of all times, but it sure made me laugh a little. I think that this book was of a different spectrum than I am in. I didn't know ANY of the music mentioned and I definitely felt that I missed out on the actual aura of the book. The first chapter I got tired of going onto YouTube to look up and and listen to the songs mentioned (it got veryyyyyyyyyy tiring).
I don't want to bash the book because It didn't meet MY expectations but Klosterman's style of writing is fantastic. I can very much relate to his style because it reflected his thought process. I think he spits out what's on his mind and the writing and syntax of his book does just that. He has a GREAT use of voice, which really got me into the novel even if I wasn't interested with what it was about. It was a good change to go from reading books that had a beginning, middle, problem, climax, and a resolution-- to a book that talked about his experience on an article mission.
I don't think I'd recommend this book to anyone that I know unless they were over the age of 30 and if they were REALLLLLLLYYYYYYY into hard core rock music.
I rate this book a 7.9:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I can agree about not knowing a lot of the music references which didn't do much for the book though at times when i did recognize it was nice. And i have to agree that his sense of voice is great. though i did rate it a bit lower and it will not make it into my top books either.
ReplyDeleteShema, 30?????LOL. It was easy for Chuck to express his words with out thinking about it. I'm not sure I could do that in a book. I can understand how not knowing the bands makes it hard to follow a well as not winning the top 5 best readers.
ReplyDeleteI agree this book was a nice change from the typical format "beginning, middle, problem, climax, and a resolution". I found Klosterman's nontraditional, spastic style to be interesting.
ReplyDelete